Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Sun, 13 Jul 2003 10:59:53 -0400
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   David Klein <dbklein@sympatico.ca>
Subject:   Re: spss crash due to large dataset
Comments:   To: jeff_hayes@stratalys.com

At 07:38 AM 7/13/2003 -0700, Jeff Hayes, Ph.D. wrote: >Hi, > >I'm running an albeit ancient spss 10.1 with a rather large dataset (n=35,000 >with approx 300 vars) and am running into frequent spsswin.exe errors that >cause unrecoverable program crashes. I would like to figure out my options >besides upgrading to a newer version of spss, which might not solve the >problem >anyway. I'd rather not spend the $$ on spss when my current version has >all of >the stats functionality I need. Instead, I was considering upgrading to a new >machine with 1gig of ram (I have 512mb now). Does anyone have a sense of >whether this would reduce the instability of my spss 10.1? Does spss 10 have >any hard limits on its usage of ram or the size of working datafiles? > >There is also a setting in Options -> Special Workspace Memory Limit which is >now set at 512k. I tried to increase it to 5mb, but it still seems to be >throwing errors. > >Any advice is much appreciated. > >Cheers, >Jeff

Hi Jeff,

You haven't mentioned what operating system you're running. Is it an NT flavor like XP or 2K, or is it a Win 9.x type?

David