Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 23 Jul 2003 09:46:07 -0500
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Marks, Jim" <Jim.Marks@lodgenet.com>
Subject:   Re: How to deal with "junk" lines in raw data file

Tom:

In the GET DATA syntax for text files, there is a subcommand for where to start the data:

/FIRSTCASE =n

where "n" is the first row of data. You might try experimenting with this.

Jim Marks Senior Market Analyst LodgeNet Entertainment Corporation

-----Original Message----- From: Snider-Lotz, Tom [mailto:TSnider-Lotz@qwiz.com] Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 9:07 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: How to deal with "junk" lines in raw data file

I often analyze data on our tests, drawn from a data warehouse. I receive the data in a CSV (comma separated) file, and each file has two rows at the top that don't contain test data: Row 1 contains headers (most of them not usable in SPSS) and Row 2 contains the test key (correct answers). Row 1 is of no use at all in the analysis, Row 2 is used at the beginning of the analysis and then discarded.

I'm trying to set up a system for reading the CSV file directly into SPSS, junk rows and all. Right now I use a DATA LIST command. It ultimately works fine, but of course it generates a lot of error messages because of the non-data in the first two rows -- especially the header row.

Is there a way to read this CSV file without getting these error messages? I don't want to turn off all error messages, just the ones based on these two rows. For example, is there a way to tell SPSS to ignore the first row when reading the data?

Thanks for your help.

-- Tom Snider-Lotz

Thomas G. Snider-Lotz, Ph.D. Industrial Psychology Qwiz, Inc. 1805 Old Alabama Road Suite 150 Roswell, GA 30076

Ph: 678.832.0555 Fax: 770.642.6115 mailto:tsnider-lotz@qwiz.com <http://www.qwiz.com> _______________________________ Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. -- Dave Barry