Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:31:34 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Walter Scott <Walter.Scott@STATE.TN.US>
Subject:      Re: Comment issue
Comments: To: WHITLOI1@WESTAT.COM

Ian, I'm running v8.2 on WinXP. So far I can't reproduce the problem with a simple example. The code in which it showed up is a 'control' file that is made up mostly of %include's; there are several before the statement in question. The issue was resolved by switching to '/* */' style comments. The statement where the problem appears is a %include (after the commented-out %include) that loads a file containing a macro and is followed by three calls to the macro thus-loaded. I was convinced it couldn't be mis-matched quotes or something like that; but, now, I'm going to re-check everything thoroughly before I bother the list with the long log-listing.

Thanks,

Walter

>>> Ian Whitlock <WHITLOI1@WESTAT.COM> 13:09:55 21-Jul-03 >>> Walter,

I used SAS 8.2 under XP and found no problem.

1 filename xx 'c:\junk'; 2 * %; 3 %include xx(test.sas) / source2; NOTE: %INCLUDE (level 1) file XX(test.sas) is file c:\junk\test.sas. 4 +%put OK ; OK NOTE: %INCLUDE (level 1) ending.

Perhaps you should show a log as simple as the above one and give more information about the system.

IanWhitlock@westat.com -----Original Message----- From: Walter Scott [mailto:Walter.Scott@STATE.TN.US] Sent: Monday, July 21, 2003 1:58 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Comment issue

All, Can anyone provide an explanation for why the second include is ignored in the following:

options source2; filename xx 'c:\'; * %include xx(file1.sas); %include xx(file2.sas);

This problem also occurs with the following:

options source2; filename xx 'c:\'; * %; %include xx(file2.sas); /* The INCLUDE has been removed from the comment */

I'm guessing this might have something to with the fact that '*' comments are considered statements etc., but the above examples have no mismatched quotes. I can avoid the issue by using '/* */' style comments; I'm just curious about what is happening here. I halfway expect the answer to be so obvious that I'm going to be embarrassed that I even asked.

Walter