Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Aug 2003 20:56:12 +0000
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Paul Dorfman <paul_dorfman@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Compress multiple spaces _outside_ quoted values ?
Comments: To: radevenz@IX.NETCOM.COM

Richard,

Not too elegant, but you could try

data _null_ ; retain s " begin 'one quote' no quote ' another quote ' end string" ; do x = index (s, "'") to length (s) ; if substr (s, x) =: "'" then do ; p = not p; continue ; end ; if not p then continue ; if substr (s, x) =: '' then substr (s, x, 1) = 'ff'x ; end ; s = translate ( compbl (s), '', 'ff'x) ; put s $100. ; run ;

which prints

begin 'one quote' no quote ' another quote ' end string

I bet you have already come up with that much yourself :-).

Kind regards, =============== Paul M. Dorfman Jacksonville, FL ===============

_________________________________________________________________ MSN 8 helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus