Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:14:06 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Choate, Paul@DDS" <pchoate@DDS.CA.GOV>
Subject:      Re: Using DDE with Excel in Batch mode
Comments: To: Jim Hoffman <jshoffman@DBSICORP.COM>

Good Morning Jim -

This is a stab in the dark, but what better way is there to program? ...

It appears the functionality of the Excel command processor is inhibited by the locking of your system. Try moving your Excel commands from SAS DDE to an Excel macro and only use DDE to launch the macro. The VB script may not experience some of the limitations of the outdated Excel macro language. This approach has helped me to circumvent non-functioning DDE code in the past.

Of course with MS security the macro needs to be in the owner's personal macro library, or it will choke on a pop-up asking for permission to run...

YMMV!

Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Hoffman [mailto:jshoffman@DBSICORP.COM] Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 8:42 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Using DDE with Excel in Batch mode

I am running Win2k and have SAS (8.2) jobs scheduled (with the windows scheduler) to run in the wee hours of the morning that create Excel 97 spreadsheets. Every thing seems to run ok when I am logged in on the system. However when I do the Ctl-Alt-Del and lock the workstation the jobs run but create a trashed out spreadsheet. The only difference between a good run and bad run is to be active in the terminal. Any solutions or things I might try?

Regards, Jim Hoffman