Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 07:22:50 -0400
Reply-To: "M. Shubair" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Sender: "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From: "M. Shubair" <mshubair@MOUNTAINCABLE.NET>
Subject: Help requested with Syntax. Thank you!
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
Dear SPSSX-L members:
I would like to ask your help. I want to derive a variable called "successp"
(successful procedure called "PCI") and I did the following syntax. Can you
confirm if this syntax is correct, or if there is a "more efficient" way of
I appreciate your help.
- Mamdouh Shubair
* Derivation of Successful PCI:
* Successful PCI procedure = Lesion Success + abscence of the following
adverse outcomes (death; PCI; bypass/CABG) coded as "abscence" below.
* The variables are coded as follows:
* death: 0 = no death; 1 = yes death .
* pci: 0 = no; 1 = yes .
* cabg: 0 = no; 1 = yes .
* lesion success (successl): 0 = yes successful lesion .
* abscence of adverse outcomes (abscence): 0 = yes (outcomes absent); 1 = no
(outcomes are not absent) .
* successful PCI procedure (successp) -- this is the variable I want to
derive below .
IF ((death=0) & (pci=0) & (cabg=0)) abscence=0.
IF ((death=1) & (pci=1) & (cabg=1)) abscence=1.
MISSING VALUES abscence (1) .
IF (MISSING(abscence)) abscence = $SYSMIS .
VARIABLE LABELS abscence 'Abscence of adverse outcomes which include
FORMATS abscence (F3.0) .
COMPUTE Successp = Successl + abscence .
VARIABLE LABELS Successp 'Successful PCI procedure' .
ADD VALUE LABELS Successp 0 'Yes Successful PCI procedure' .
FORMATS Successp (F3.0) .