Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 10 Sep 2003 16:45:27 -0400
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Richard Ristow <wrristow@mindspring.com>
Subject:   Re: Aggregate macro
Comments:   cc: SPSS suggestion line <suggest@spss.com>

At 07:41 AM 9/9/2003 -0400, Raynald Levesque wrote:

>DEFINE !myvar() tpe1 tpe2 tpe3 tpe4 !ENDDEFINE. >DEFINE !mybrk() INTRO !ENDDEFINE. > >AGGREGATE > /OUTFILE='c:\temp\aggr.sav' > /BREAK=!mybrk / > !myvar = Mean(!myvar). > >The trick is that a macro call cannot be at the end of a line which is >a continuation line.

Exactly. As near as I can tell, the effect is as if every macro emits a new-line on completion. (Or is it subtler than that?)

And, as far as I know, though this has been true for years, it's nowhere documented. (Or have I missed something?)

Does anyone know whether it's a bug or a 'feature'?

It would be wonderful if it were eliminated. Or, since there is probably a good deal of code that relies on it, if there were an option on the !DEFINE command to create macros that would NOT emit the extra line-end, or whatever it is.

Sorry. This is well up on my list of petty SPSS peeves.