Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:22:45 +0100
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         David Hutton <David.Hutton@cem.dur.ac.uk>
Subject:      List etiquette/Out of Office conditional - suggestion.

Dear Listers: How can one set "Out of Office" in Outlook without also sending replies to all the SPSS posts?

I think that if you set "I am currently Out of the Office" but leave the message field blank it does not send a reply, so you won't bother listers. So you can then set the 2 rules below.

The first moves SPSS List messages (To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU) to a folder, and you check the box for "Do not process subsequent rules".

The second (which SPSS messages should thus never reach) sends a reply to any messages addressed directly to you - or copied to you, or what you will. Insert text and subject in a Template as you would have put in the standard Out Of Office reply.

I can see a disadvantage, that a person emailing you more than once would probably get more than one reply saying you're out. Ah, well, nothing's perfect. And if they don't learn from the first reply not to email you, they will probably put up with all the others.

Any comments?

All the best, David Hutton C.E.M. Centre, University of Durham, UK.