Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Sep 2003 08:38:25 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Stephen Ban <ban@zoology.ubc.ca>
Subject:      Re: Anomaly in logistic regression output

Actually, I'm using a forward-step likelihood ratio.

Although I haven't run an iteration history, the number of steps between the memory-sufficient and memory-deficient runs is about the same. Also, since it is a forward-step procedure, the best explanatory variables should be entering first (presumably, before memory usage becomes a problem), but I think a difference is emerging even at these early steps.

Also, it seems curious that the procedure actually runs at all if SPSS is truly running out of memory; previously, if I tried a procedure without specifying the /EXTERNAL argument, SPSS would just terminate with an out of memory error, which is not the case here, where it seems that SPSS is able to complete the procedure by swapping to disk instead of RAM.

Stephen

At 02:37 PM 08/09/2003 +0100, Muir Houston wrote: >I noticed that you used the backward Wald selection method in your >regression - can you provide insght as to why this enter method was chosen? >This might also impact on the number of iterations that Mark refers to. >Just a thought and again curious for justification for enter method > >cheers >muir houston > > > >Legal disclaimer >-------------------------- > >The information transmitted is the property of the University of Paisley >and is intended only for the person or entity >to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged >material. Statements and opinions expressed in this >e-mail may not represent those of the company. Any review, >retransmission, dissemination and other use of, or taking >of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities >other than the intended recipient is prohibited. >If you received this in error, please contact the sender immediately and >delete the material from any computer. > >--------------------------