Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2003, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 8 Sep 2003 09:07:22 -0700
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Choate, Paul@DDS" <pchoate@DDS.CA.GOV>
Subject:   Re: Import Delimited Long Variable Character fields
Comments:   To: David Wright <David_wright@SPRA.COM>

Try $CHAR255. - it retains leading blanks.

Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160

-----Original Message----- From: David Wright [mailto:David_wright@SPRA.COM] Sent: Friday, September 05, 2003 4:20 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Import Delimited Long Variable Character fields

Assume you have a delimited file with character fields of unknown length (except they are less than the 255 max).

What is the best (simplest that works rather than efficient) format/informat use:

1. use a simple $255. 2. use $var255. 3. use format modifier x : $ 255

I have had very bad luck using any of these three, depending on other fields in the file and so on. According to the manual, ":" is supposed to work with delimited files, but I have found some problems with it as well.