Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2003)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Oct 2003 15:33:54 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Sally Zitzer <sallyz@u.washington.edu>
Subject:      Re: Swan virus  (ie, from Arsenetta)
Comments: To: "Paparodopoulos, Nikos" <NPaparodopoulos@ing.gr>

I've received a couple of those emails too and apparently there is no virus associated with them. Instead, it is spam from a company selling anti-spam software! They want you to buy their software. From what I learned on the internet, someone on this list is using the software and our email addresses were obtained that way. The product is called SpamArrest. Here is the web site which explains what is going on:

http://static.samspade.org/spamarrest.html

It sounds as if anyone who posts on this list will receive the spam, but if you are a lurker you are safe.

At the bottom of the page under Suggestions there are some ideas on how to avoid being spammed by SpamArrest.

Sally in Seattle University of Washington, Computing and Communications