Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:48:35 -0600
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Weeks, Kyle" <kweeks@spss.com>
Subject:   Re: new SPSS web page
Comments:   To: Frank Thomas <frank.thomasftr@FREE.FR>

My apologies for not responding sooner, but I needed to research the specifics of The City University of New York first before I could comment. First off let me state that SPSS values our academic customers very much and we encourage universities to teach with SPSS software. Additionally, we offer substantial discounts from what we charge government and commercial users on everything from our data mining software, SPSS site licenses and SPSS single user modules. Second, please allow me to also assure the group that the case of The City University of New York was an anomaly, the vast majority of universities do not have such an increase.

Over five years ago The City University of New York signed a long term deal at well below market rates. During that time they received new and updated software many times while, often, paying nothing in renewal rates. In the final year of the contract they paid roughly 1/8th of the market value for the renewal of the software. The City University of New York was informed that when their long term deal expired that their renewal rate would need to be based on market value.

Regards.

Kyle Weeks, Ph.D. Senior Product Manager, Product Management and Marketing SPSS Inc. kweeks@spss.com www.spss.com

SPSS Inc. helps organizations turn data into insight through predictive analytics.

-----Original Message----- From: Frank Thomas [mailto:frank.thomasftr@FREE.FR] Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 6:31 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: new SPSS web page

Could the commercials from SPSS comment on this? Is this a general policy change to prohibit universities to teach SPSS ??? Do others on the list experience the same problem? Or is this price change something unique to the N.Y. City University ?

Mark, did you try to reduce the licence in showing the SPSS commercial the importance of having SPSS tought at universities?

Regards, Frank Thomas

Mark Casazza wrote:

>Hi Sally, > >I haven't tried the new site for patches, but SPSS raised the cost of >our site license by a factor of 8 this year. Needless to say we didn't >renew it. We'll continue to use what we've got perpetual licenses on >(and I'm sure some offices will license specific additional components >in the short term) but the University community as a whole will have to >abandon SPSS. Considering that our license for the mainframe version >is number 699 it was a hard decision to give up a program we'd been >using for give or take 30 years, but what can we do? Have fun in >retirement! > >Mark Casazza >Director of Academic Information >The City University of New York >555 West 57th St. Suite 1240 >New York, NY 10019 > >phone: 212.541.0396 >fax: 212.541.0372 >mark.casazza@mail.cuny.edu > >-----Original Message----- >From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of >Sally Zitzer >Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 3:10 PM >To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >Subject: new SPSS web page > > > Has anyone tried to access the SPSS patches on the SPSS web page in >the >last few days? I am trying to see what patches there are for version >10. >But I can't get at them unless I have our University ID apparently, and >that is something only our staff person who arranges the site-licenses >knows. It is not something that can be handed out to our 2,000 or so >users on this campus. It appears that, if I can get permission to use >their web site, I will be responsible for emailing the appropriate >patches to those 2,000+ users in the future. I guess they are trying >to discourage us from having a site-license. I'm awfully glad I >retire in 7 months! > > Sally in Seattle > >Sally Zitzer, Statistical Software Consultant >Computing & Communications >University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA > > > >

-- ...................... Dr. Frank Thomas FTR Internet Research Rosny, France