Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Nov 2003 12:55:09 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Mark Casazza <mark.casazza@domino1.cuny.edu>
Subject:      Re: new SPSS web page
Comments: To: Frank Thomas <frank.thomasftr@FREE.FR>

Hi Frank,

I'm not involved in getting the licenses; I'd just sent an email to the office that does get them in early September asking when we'd get version 12. About a week or two later a memo was circulated to the University community explaining that we wouldn't be getting version 12 and why. I'm sure we tried to negotiate a lower price, and from what Kyle said we did do this several years ago. But, we also raised tuition about 25 percent this year to make up for a cut in state funding so there's no way we can absorb the increased cost for SPSS.

In the short term I'm sure SPSS will continue to be taught at CUNY. With over 15,000 faculty and 200,000 students, change here takes a while. But, at some point we will need to install new software--we'll see what happens then.

Mark Casazza Director of Academic Information The City University of New York 555 West 57th St. Suite 1240 New York, NY 10019

phone: 212.541.0396 fax: 212.541.0372 mark.casazza@mail.cuny.edu

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Frank Thomas Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 7:31 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: new SPSS web page

Could the commercials from SPSS comment on this? Is this a general policy change to prohibit universities to teach SPSS ??? Do others on the list experience the same problem? Or is this price change something unique to the N.Y. City University ?

Mark, did you try to reduce the licence in showing the SPSS commercial the importance of having SPSS tought at universities?

Regards, Frank Thomas

Mark Casazza wrote:

>Hi Sally, > >I haven't tried the new site for patches, but SPSS raised the cost of >our site license by a factor of 8 this year. Needless to say we >didn't renew it. We'll continue to use what we've got perpetual >licenses on (and I'm sure some offices will license specific >additional components in the short term) but the University community >as a whole will have to abandon SPSS. Considering that our license >for the mainframe version is number 699 it was a hard decision to give >up a program we'd been using for give or take 30 years, but what can >we do? Have fun in retirement! > >Mark Casazza >Director of Academic Information >The City University of New York >555 West 57th St. Suite 1240 >New York, NY 10019 > >phone: 212.541.0396 >fax: 212.541.0372 >mark.casazza@mail.cuny.edu > >-----Original Message----- >From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf >Of >Sally Zitzer >Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 3:10 PM >To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >Subject: new SPSS web page > > > Has anyone tried to access the SPSS patches on the SPSS web page in >the >last few days? I am trying to see what patches there are for version >10. >But I can't get at them unless I have our University ID apparently, >and >that is something only our staff person who arranges the site-licenses >knows. It is not something that can be handed out to our 2,000 or so >users on this campus. It appears that, if I can get permission to use >their web site, I will be responsible for emailing the appropriate >patches to those 2,000+ users in the future. I guess they are trying >to discourage us from having a site-license. I'm awfully glad I >retire in 7 months! > > Sally in Seattle > >Sally Zitzer, Statistical Software Consultant >Computing & Communications >University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA > > > >

-- ...................... Dr. Frank Thomas FTR Internet Research Rosny, France