Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:14:26 -0000
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Smith, Anne" <SmithAnne@dnb.com>
Subject:      Re: SPSS 12.0 - "bugs" 8 character limit still applies

I have just run a series logistic regressions and tried to save the prediction results with variable names >8 characters ,as this is the major benefit of version 12 for me. However within the LOGISTIC procedure it truncated the name back to 8 characters again for the first regression, then refused to run the rest of the regressions as the output variable name (1st 8 characters) had already been created.

Is this a feature of other procedures that create new variables too ?

Anne Smith

-----Original Message----- From: Mark Davenport [mailto:madavenp@OFFICE.UNCG.EDU] Sent: 20 November 2003 15:54 To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SPSS 12.0 - "bugs"

We (the version 12 beta testers) were not specifically requested to test existing options and procedures. However, I ran several logistic regression problems--one of which, I recall, was a multinomial problem. It ran fine on the beta version. I did have some machine specific problems with the beta (primarily a graphics-related problem) that seem to have been corrected.

I don't have the release version of the regression module so I can't tell you anything about the release. But my sense is that V12 may be sensitive to hardware or OS setup.

I think it will be telling to see if others have the same problem. Again, I didn't see that problem in the beta version.

Mark

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% Mark A. Davenport Ph.D. Asst to the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs/Research and Evaluation The University of North Carolina at Greensboro 149 Mossman Bldg. Greensboro, NC 27402-6170 336.334.5099 madavenp@office.uncg.edu

'An approximate answer to the right problem is worth a good deal more than an exact answer to an approximate problem' -- J. W. Tukey

>>> JF Allaire <jfallaire@ssss.gouv.qc.ca> 11/20/2003 10:33:14 AM >>> Dear list members,

I am a quiet user of the list, but I am now writing to you because I am very disappointed. I just had spss 12.0 installed on my pc (Windows 2000), and "as usual" with a new release, I experienced many problems (remember SPSS 10.0, Answer Tree 1.0).

First, when I try to do a multinomial logistic regression via the menu, spss shows the message "Internal error : Cannot find control 1000 in Procvec" and crashes. Secondly, when I try do to binary logistic regression, I can't see the entire option boxes (the window only partially shows). The same thing happens for linear regression. I visited the support web site to find a patch without success. So, I decided to go back and re install spss 11. Did you experienced any of these problems??? If so, may be it is a good idea to wait before installing spss 12.

Jean-Francois