Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Nov 2003 19:48:59 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         John Fleming <johntwrl@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Function to select one record in each of multiple subsets of

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 15:53:16 -0500, Theodore <tsmonk@EUDORAMAIL.COM> wrote:

>Thanks for the promtp help, John. You set up the problem that I have; >however, there is a wrinkle that I do not see covered in your solution. > >Each record in the 'event' (jobs) file has a large number of variables' >scores (over 150 variables in my file) and I want to write to the new >file everything that is on the record with the longest job for employee X. > >It seems that your solution is writitng to the new file only the value >for the job duratyion variable. If I am right, do you have any >suggestions on how to deal with the wrinkle in your procedure?

No.

The code as I wrote it will grab every variable from data set A. To keep only the two variables EMPLOYEE and DURATION, I would have needed to to use a keep statement, i.e., SET A (KEEP = EMPLOYEE DURATION);

I did introduce a different glitch, one that comes from our records being ordered by an ID number and a case number. To make my code work more correctly for the case described in my post, eliminate the KEY variable, do the sort by EMPLOYEE, and in the last data step use BY EMPLOYEE and LAST.EMPLOYEE instead of BY KEY and LAST.KEY.

The BY KEY line is simply telling SAS how to group the records. LAST.KEY (or more correctly LAST.EMPLOYEE) is an instruction telling SAS to take the last record in each group.

If there were 15 records for employee 00001 and 12 records for employee 00002, LAST.EMPLOYEE would output the fifteenth record for employeed 00001 and the twelth record for employee 00002.