Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:55:35 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Cardwell, Susan" <susan.cardwell@mwsu.edu>
Subject:      Re: titles
Comments: To: "Oliver, Richard" <richard@spss.com>

richard, thank you for responding....your first 'do if' only put the title in the log. the second suggestion (title ' '.) didn't show or print the title. I understand the page break concept but I don't know the "\n" work around that you say won't work anyway. btw I'm using version 11.5.2. susan

-----Original Message----- From: Oliver, Richard [mailto:richard@spss.com] Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 10:58 AM To: SUSAN.CARDWELL@MWSU.EDU Subject: RE: titles

TITLE and SUBTITLE commands affect all subsequent page titles, and since they are both "page" titles they both generate a page break; so what you're actually seeing is a page with the title text immediately followed by a new page with the title and subtitle text.

I'd recommend using just the TITLE command with the "\n" convention to create a line break -- but that doesn't seem to work with the TITLE command.

If all you want is a "title" and "subtitle" before some block of output, not necessarily at the start of a page, you could use:

do if ($casenum=1). print /'my title' /'my subtitle'. end if.

If you also want this at the start of a new page, you could include a blank title command:

title ''. do if ($casenum=1). print /'my title' /'my subtitle'. end if.

> ---------- > From: Cardwell, Susan[SMTP:SUSAN.CARDWELL@MWSU.EDU] > Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 10:24:17 AM > To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: titles > Auto forwarded by a Rule > dear list....i've been to ray's page and the archives and the syntax manual...the info regarding adding titles to output is more complex than I need. here's my simple problem...when I run the following bit I get the title first then the title AGAIN and subtitle under it. the manual instructs that they are independent of each other. what am I overlooking?

TITLE 'IPEDS Winter Collection - MSUfacstaff20032004'. SUBTITLE 'FT Faculty/Staff by EEO Code'. CROSSTABS /TABLES= var013 BY var059 /FORMAT=AVALUE TABLES /CELLS=COUNT.

tia, susan

Susan Cardwell, M.A. Assistant Director, Institutional Research and Planning Midwestern State University 3410 Taft Blvd. Hardin 301 Wichita Falls, TX 76308 940-397-4533 http://web.mwsu.edu/institutionalresearch/ <http://web.mwsu.edu/institutionalresearch/>

The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it but what he becomes by it.

-- John Ruskin