Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 2 Dec 2003 13:44:30 -0500
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Ian Whitlock <WHITLOI1@WESTAT.COM>
Subject:   Re: help with w.d informat
Comments:   To: Yan Lee <cmg3452003@YAHOO.CO.UK>

Yan,

8.2 on PUT specifies 2 digits after the decimal point. On INPUT it specifies the division factor when not overridden by an explicit decimal point. It was handy in the days when one worried about saving a byte with an assumed decimal point. In today's world it is SASTrap.

IanWhitlock@westat.com

-----Original Message----- From: Yan Lee [mailto:cmg3452003@YAHOO.CO.UK] Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 1:16 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: help with w.d informat

Can anyone explain below

data temp1; x='10'; y=input(x, 8.2); output; run;

data _null_; set temp1; put x= y=; run;

This is what you get. X=10 Y=0.1

I know I could use input(x, 8.) instead but would like to understand how the .d in (w.d informat) work.

Thanks Yan