Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2003, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:33:36 +0200
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Arjen Raateland <arjen.raateland@YMPARISTO.FI>
Subject:      Re: Running EXCEL minimized while running SAS and doing DDE

Nat Wooding wrote: > > I have a SAS application wherein I use DDE to read the contents of a number > of sheets in a workbook. Each time a new sheet is opened, an EXCEL window > opens so my computer is effectively tied up while it grinds through the > workbook. I have done some searching but have not found any means of > opening EXCEL but keeping it minimized. Does anyone know a trick that will > do this? > > Nat Wooding

Hi Nat,

The minimize function works well. The following are the relevant parts from an application I wrote:

/* Start up Excel. */ %_OpenApp(Applicat=Excel);

/* Open all files in Excel. */ data _null_; length ak $ 8; lista="&ak_lista"; file cmdexcel; do i=1 to %nwords(lista); ak=scan(lista,i); put '[open("' "&input" '\' ak +(-1) '.xls")]'; end; put '[app.minimize()]'; run;

.... reading Excel files ....

/* Excel no longer needed: Perform Exit */ data _null_; file cmdexcel; put '[quit()]'; run; filename cmdexcel clear;

The documentation about these macro functions is old. Not all of them work 100% e.g. renaming or moving around sheets of an Excel workbook can't be done with a macro function, if I remember well. There is a workaround for this in one of the SUGI papers about using Excel through DDE from SAS by Koen Vyverman.

Good luck! -- Arjen Raateland Finnish Environment Institute SYKE Research Dept. SAS Support phone +358 9 4030 0350