Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:26:11 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Choate, Paul@DDS" <pchoate@DDS.CA.GOV>
Subject:      Re: Data view input vs output
Comments: To: Dan T Keating <keatingd@WASHPOST.COM>

Dan - I can't replicate your error, and I don't find any references either. Your source data aren't views, are they? I'd suggest simplifying the program until the error stops to find where it is. First place I'd try is in your keepvars macro, next in the where clause, and the data and set statements.

There's an informative thread on views and what they do behind the scenes: From: Biff Henderson (tango_zebra2002@YAHOO.COM) Subject: Settle an argument about a view Newsgroups: comp.soft-sys.sas Date: 2002-07-23 14:10:13 PST

hth

Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160

-----Original Message----- From: Dan T Keating [mailto:keatingd@WASHPOST.COM] Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 10:59 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Data view input vs output

I'm creating a data view to get a subset that I want to move to SQL Server. I regularly use views to get sets for moving to excel or the server, etc.

In this case, I'm getting the following error message:

ERROR: The requested type of view (Input or Output) cannot be determined. NOTE: View not saved due to errors.

In short, the data step looks like:

%let keepvars = ... long list of variable names here ....;

data togo01 / view=togo01; length newvar $20; set lib.data00 (keep=&keepvars.) lib.data01 (keep=&keepvars.) lib.data02 (keep=&keepvars.) lib.data03 (keep=&keepvars.); where ... blah, blah, blah; newvar = "Most of them"; if .. blah, blah, blah, then newvar = "The Others"; drop var1;* used in 'where' but no longer needed; run;

Because I need to get it done, I ran it just creating a temp dataset togo01. That ran with no problems.

But due to its size I'd rather not have to do it again. And I want to know what I was doing wrong. I haven't found it in the docs.

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Dan _________________________________ Dan Keating Database Editor, The Washington Post (202) 334-5047, keatingd@washpost.com