Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:16:43 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Choate, Paul@DDS" <pchoate@DDS.CA.GOV>
Subject:      Re: bad value
Comments: To: William Kossack <kossackw@NJC.ORG>

William,

In your situation I have on occasion pasted the suspicious text to notepad or other limited text editor that accepts standard ASCII characters and then back to my editor.

What is your hex sequence? A colon is '3A'x .

http://www.asciitable.com/

Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160

-----Original Message----- From: William Kossack [mailto:kossackw@NJC.ORG] Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 2:54 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: bad value

In trying to clean up the data I'm using the compress function as in x=compress(value,':');

This removes the unwanted colons that appear in all other fields but one of the fields is not affected.

I looked at the data in hex and it appears to be a colon with a space in front. The data is brought in from microsoft access. We tried to filter it in access by using a colon and nothing happened. However it appears as a colon in access