Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 4)Back to main CONCH-L pageJoin or leave CONCH-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:46:26 -0600
Sender:       Conchologists of America List <CONCH-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Andy Rindsberg <arindsberg@GSA.STATE.AL.US>
Subject:      Re: Liberty spikes

Art Weil wrote, > I'm delighted that you have finally brought shells into the discussion (before someone demanded my execution). > You have opened a new can of worms---or snails. One wonders exactly how many species of mollusks might inhabit Liberty Island---or, perhaps, Central Park, or Golden Gate Park. In some of our semi-wild areas bird counts are done on a regular basis by groups devoting a Sunday to the task. Has a group ever done the same for mollusks? Might be a nice task for some club getting bored with their usual programs.

I heartily agree, with the reminder that the group collect nothing but photographs and drawings, no specimens. Small, heavily trafficked parks cannot withstand the love of collectors.

Andrew K. Rindsberg Geological Survey of Alabama