Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Jan 2004 09:36:24 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Richard A. DeVenezia" <radevenz@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Re: Question about Merge .. Fuzzy match /SQL?

"Luke" <dcasmr@aol.com> wrote in message news:20040128024950.22937.00001124@mb-m04.aol.com... > > I have two files. For simplicity we will call them A and B. Both have some > key matching variables. Among the key variables in each file, we have a > beginingTime and EndTime. Data layout: > > File A: File > B: > Key1 Key2 BeginingTime Endtime PartNum Key1 Key2 BeginningTime > Endtime > > > Here is the question: I want to the records where all cases match (easy one). > I also know that there are cases where key1 and key2 in each file match but the > beginingTime in file B as well as the Endtime of B are fully contained in the > beginningTime and Endtime of B. In those cases I want to call it a match also. > > By fully contained, I have BeginningTimeB <= BeginningA and EndtimeB <= > Endtime B. > > M final output will be all the data in B and the PartNum in file A. > > Any suggestions? >

You murked up the problem statement, but I presume you want the records from A whose intervals are wholly contained in intervals of B.

SQL is very appropriate

select distinct fileA.* from fileA, fileB where fileA.key1=fileB.key1 and fileA.key2=fileB.key2 and fileA.start >= fileB.start and fileA.end <= fileB.end

Assuming your data is reliable (i.e. start is always <= end in every record) -- Richard A. DeVenezia http://www.devenezia.com/