Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:00:59 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jules Bosch <Jules@BOSCHSYSTEMS.COM>
Subject:      Re: removing leading characters?
Comments: To: john mcmaster <john.mcmaster@CENTRAFORCE.FRA>

A 30-second solution would be to simply divide the variable CUSTOMER_ACCOUNT_ID by the value 1. SAS would then create the numeric variable NEW_CID as in -

NEW_CID= CUSTOMER_ACCOUNT_ID / 1;

I am sure more eloquent solutions will follow.

Jules Bosch www.BoschSystems.com

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of john mcmaster Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2004 6:38 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: removing leading characters?

I have a problem that I hope one of you knowledgable souls in here could please help me with!

I have a character variable called customer_account_id (length $12.) values of which typically look as below:

"000012345678" "000001234567" "000000123456" "000000012345"

How can i can i get rid of the prevaling zero characters from this variable?

All replies greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

John