Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:41:12 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "F. J. Kelley" <jkelley@UGA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: leading blanks trimmed

Read the data with the $CHARw. informat. That will preserve the leading blanks. When writing, the $w. format will preserve leading blanks, but when reading it does not.

---- Original message ---- >Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 06:57:56 -0800 >From: Kea <kea2003@AEMAIL4U.COM> >Subject: leading blanks trimmed >To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > >Dear All, > >I read in ("input") a data set, made minor calculations to it, and >wrote back out ("put"). >I used the following commands to read in and write out: > >@0001 var1 $200. >@0201 var2 $200. >... >... > >However I have noticed that the data written out had the preceding >blanks trimmed. According to the SAS online Docs this should not >happen unless I use a LEFT alignment function. > >How can I make sure that SAS does not modify the original data in any >way while reading and writing??? > >Many thanks in advance, >Kea