Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:54:36 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Phil Rack <philrack@MINEQUEST.COM>
Subject:      Re: Warning for Those Thinking of Roxio's Easy CD & DVD Creator 6
Comments: To: Charles Patridge <charles_s_patridge@PRODIGY.NET>

I too had problems with Roxio. After installing their software, my machine would no longer properly shut down (it would just hang) and Media Player 9 would not write to a CD anymore.

I ended up getting a copy of Nero Burning ROM at a computer flea market for $15. It works well.

I think that after Adaptec sold EZ CD Creator to Roxio, the Q&A and as well as support went right down the toilet.

Phil

Philip Rack MineQuest, LLC 1939 Queensbridge Dr. Columbus, OH 4335 Tel: (614) 457-3714 Fax: (614) 737-3419 E-mail: PhilRack@minequest.com

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Charles Patridge Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 12:23 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Warning for Those Thinking of Roxio's Easy CD & DVD Creator 6

Hi All,

Sorry about posting this topic on Roxio's Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 product but I thought it was worth mentioning because of the damage it did to my brand new Dell XPS system, and do not want anyone else innocently experiencing the same problem.

I needed to buy a new system - so I chose Dell but their support is a far cry from what it was 4 years ago - Technical Support people are from India, and I have found it hard to reach anyone without waiting for periods exceeding 50 to 60 minutes. But this is another story.

In any case, I had Easy CD Creator 4.0 on my old system and liked it for dragging files to the CD for backups or making whatever I needed.

I tried to install this on my new PC but found out it was not compatiable with Windows XP so I figured I would purchase the latest and greatest version (6.0).

I also have 2 hard drives with a couple of removeable drives, too. And I partitioned both hard drives for personal reasons. I suspect the partitioning or the removeable drives may be part of this Roxio situation.

In any case, installing Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6.0 RAISED HELL with my hardware configuration. It re-assigned my hard drives and partitions with new drive letter assignments - thus making much of my installed software unuseable.

I was not exactly sure what had happened when it did. I thought it was just that Roxio re-assigned the removeable drives but it also did partitions on both drives as well (except for my C drive).

In addition, I knew nothing about System Restore Feature within Windows XP (a big mistake not to know about it, also did not have a restore recovery point created - another big mistake). So, I was not able to do a "GOBACK or RESTORE" with the software I currently had on my new system.

In any case, it will take me a few days to get things back the way they should be.

Just thought you all might be interested in this nasty behavior in case you are thinking of ever installing it on your systems.

BTW, I tried technical support at Roxio - no replies - it has been 4 days. And Dell support wasn't much better either.

Sorry to interrupt - just letting off some steam. HTH, Charles Patridge

I also made a lemon page on this particular problem so potential customers might see it first in hopes of them not getting burned - http://pages.prodigy.net/charles_s_patridge/lemon