Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 3 Feb 2004 16:34:05 -0600
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Toby Dunn <tdunn@OAKHILLTECH.COM>
Subject:   Re: SAS file to SPSS file

Well, thank you all for most generous advice. Some days I wish I wasn't so new to SAS or programming for that matter.

Thanks, Toby Dunn

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Laurel Copeland Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 4:20 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS file to SPSS file

FWIW, below are the contents of my crib file for going between SPSS and SAS. This used to work. I haven't had access to SPSS in a few years. HTH, Laurel ******************************************** *SAS2SPSS*;

*SAS * Your SAS data set is in the library SASDATA; * the data set is called SASDATA.OWEN ; libname SASDATA 'c:\sas\mydata\'; libname SAS2SPSS xport 'c:\sas\owen.xpt'; proc copy in=SASDATA out=SAS2SPSS; select OWEN; run; * If you are exporting a temp file, substitute 'in=WORK' * and omit the first libname statement *;

SPSS COMM Example: No formatted variables . get sas data='c:\sas\owen.xpt' . execute .

* Formatted variables example * In addition to the data step above, you must take * care of your formats as follows * Your formats catalog is in the library LIBRARY *; libname library 'c:\sas\catalogs\'; proc format library=library cntlout=fmts; run; libname fmt2spss xport 'c:\sas\FMTS.xpt'; proc copy in=work out=fmt2spss; select FMTS; run;

/* SPSS */ /* If you are converting a SAS formats catalog as well as a SAS data /* set then you should use these commands */

get sas data='c:\sas\owen.xpt' /formats='c:\sas\fmts.xpt'. execute .

***FROM SPSS TO SAS**** . /* In SPSS */ COMM Watch dates during this process . print format date DOB (Adate10) . exec . EXPORT OUTFILE='C:\safe\stuff.por'.

/* In SAS */ libname somethin SPSS 'c:\safe\stuff.por'; data stuff; set somethin.stuff; run; ********************************************

-----Original Message----- From: edwardsm@UOGUELPH.CA [mailto:edwardsm@UOGUELPH.CA] Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 12:44 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SAS file to SPSS file

Good day all!

I'd just like to add a little note to the transition from SAS to SPSS datafiles. We use DBMSengines here on Campus to move from SAS to SPSS... HOWEVER..... I have not found a way to maintain the library formats in SAS when moving to SPSS. I can select SPSS sav files or SPSS por files - either way it does not maintain the variable value labels.

Has anyone else encountered this and maybe found a way around it? SAS suggested I tried DBMS Copy on my SUN system to accomplish this...

Thanks, Michelle ___________________________________ A. Michelle Edwards, Ph.D. Academic Services, CCS Vehicle Services Bldg, University of Guelph Guelph, Ontario N1G 2W1

PH: (519) 824-4120 Ext. 54539 FAX: (519) 767-1620 Email: edwardsm@uoguelph.ca ___________________________________