Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2004, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:38:49 -0500
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Sigurd Hermansen <HERMANS1@WESTAT.COM>
Subject:   Re: SQL speed
Comments:   To: Alexander Cavallo <acavallo@LEXECON.COM>

Alexander: SAS SQL relies on the sort routines being used by the SAS System. Some installations of the SAS System use SyncSort. So far as I can tell, SyncSort generally works faster than other sort routines, although in many applications the differences are small. Sig

-----Original Message----- From: Alexander Cavallo [mailto:acavallo@LEXECON.COM] Sent: Monday, February 02, 2004 6:07 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SQL speed

Hi SAS-L,

I am new to using SQL. From reading SAS-L, I thought that SQL sorts faster than SYNCSORT. In the example below, SYNCSORT is faster. Could you explain to me how big a dataset needs to be before SQL is faster?

Thanks,

--Alex Cavallo Lexecon, Inc.

48 proc sql noprint; 49 create table temp.sql as ( 50 select distinct emp_id, date 51 from hrdata.all ) 52 order by emp_id, date 53 ; NOTE: Table TEMP.SQL created, with 179291 rows and 2 columns.

54 quit; NOTE: The PROCEDURE SQL used 2.22 CPU seconds and 10730K.

55 56 proc sort nodupkey data=hrdata.all out=temp.test(keep=emp_id date); 57 by emp_id date; 58 run;

NOTE: WER750I End PROC SYNCSORT. R2.2D+ NOTE: There were 179291 observations read from the data set HRDATA.ALL. NOTE: The data set TEMP.TEST has 179291 observations and 2 variables. NOTE: The PROCEDURE SORT used 1.88 CPU seconds and 10907K.