Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:53:16 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Sigurd Hermansen <HERMANS1@WESTAT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Data
Comments: To: "julierog@ix.netcom.com" <julierog@ix.netcom.com>

Roger: I suspect that the longitude metaphor comes from the idea of observing something once in each of a sequence of time zones (at different longitudes). From prior work I have a habit of thinking of estimation errors as longitudinal (perhaps distributed over long time lags) or variations due to cross-section fixed effects or random effects. From that perspective, a purely 'cross-section' study contrasts with a purely longitudinal study (such as a birth cohort followed prospectively), although 'panel' studies have both dimensions. Sig

Subject: Re: Data Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:28:02 -0500 From: Roger Lustig <trovato@verizon.net> Reply-To: julierog@ix.netcom.com To: Jules Bosch <Jules@BOSCHSYSTEMS.COM> Newsgroups: comp.soft-sys.sas References: <001c01c40d0c$93901b00$6501a8c0@BSI>

Jules: As latinate metaphors go, "longitudinal" is really pretty weak, longitude having little to do with time per se, except that one needs a good chronometer to determine one's longitude. For "observed/measured/considered over time", I prefer "diachronic," which comes with an equally pompous antonym: "synchronic."

Roger

Jules Bosch wrote: > Would someone please provide a brief description of longitudinal data? > Is there an antonym, so to speak? > > TIA, > > Jules Bosch > www.JBCDA.com