Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:21:23 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Richard Ristow <wrristow@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: proc help needed ..wet behind the ears ..
Comments: cc: Nageswara Rao Punnani <npunnani@MEMPHIS.EDU>

At 08:07 AM 3/18/2004, Fehd, Ronald J. (PHPPO) wrote:

>>From: Nageswara Rao Punnani [mailto:npunnani@MEMPHIS.EDU] >>i am a masters student in MIS and graduating in april >> >>i have the conceptual knowledge about the SAS langauge but havent >>worked on any big time projects so far. to prove that i know a little >>bit about SAS language i recently cleared the SAS CERTIFIED PROGRAMMER EXAM. >> >>But what i am intereseted really in is to work on a project or solve >>some real world problems so that i can be confident of what i actually know. >> >>If anyone is interested in giving me some SAS work i would be really >>happy to take that and work at no cost. > >* read SAS-L daily >* do the exercises/problems posted and compare your solution to others offered >* post your solution >* accept critique gracefully >* get familiar with the archives

I certainly second Ronald Fehd's remarks.

Beyond that, you're right: you need a project to work on. There is *nothing* in courses that prepares you properly for working with real data, to get an answer that somebody actually cares about.

You're at a university. There are always students needing to do statistical analysis for thesis work, and some of them would be very glad for free help. (But make sure you have someone to ask advice of who knows SAS *and* the statistics you're using. Knowing SAS is enough to run an analysis, but not enough to tell whether it makes sense.)

Good luck! If you've used other software on real projects, it should feel fairly familiar. If not, well -- you'd hardly believe how much cleaner the data is in classes, and how much more clearly the problems are stated, than anything you encounter in practice.

"Thou shalt not seek for bugs in thy programs, nor yet for errors in thy data; for if thou dost, lo, thou shalt surely find them!"