Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:45:22 -0500
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Schechter, Robert S" <robert.schechter@ASTRAZENECA.COM>
Subject:   Re: SAS experience vs. Clinical trial experience
Comments:   To: Ma r k M <mark.mdme@JUNO.COM>

Mark,

It's hard for me to defend because I'm not in total agreement, but it IS my management's opinion that it's a lot easier to teach someone with even a little programming experience how to write SAS code then it is to teach a good SAS programmer all the rules and regs (GPP, GMP, GLP, GCP compliance) of handling clinical trial data.

You end with the question "what specifically does the pharma experience bring to the (pharma) table?" and the answer is pharma experience. If you're required to produce an FDA DR report, do you know what that entails?

-----Original Message----- From: Ma r k M [mailto:mark.mdme@JUNO.COM] Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 2:11 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SAS experience vs. Clinical trial experience

I see a lot of SAS positions advertised in the pharmaceutical industry.

It seems most of them say something like: "FDA submission experience is desired." or "previous clinical trial experience" is desired.

For all in that industry: Would you rather hire an top notch SAS programmer with no pharma experience, or a competent programmer with some experience, and why?

In other words, what specifically does the pharma experience bring to the table?