Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Apr 2004 13:39:27 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jeff <stat@jp.pair.com>
Subject:      Problem with Aggregate command and Set MXMemory in spss11

I've recently pulled out an old syntax file that used the aggregate command, which was worked fine when I was using spss 10. I've since upgraded to spss 11. Now I'm having problems. The old syntax file used the aggregate command to create about 40 different aggregated variables that were the MAX of different variables grouped by the subject ID variable. I have changed the syntax to now create about 45 variables. Previously, I had to use the set mxmemory command in spss 10 to provide enough memory to handle this command. Now, SPSS 11 tells me that the "set mxmemory" command is obsolete. When I take it out of the syntax, Windows tells me that it is increasing the virtual memory of my machine. SPSS, however, seems to lock up during command execution. ...at least I think it is locked - it is difficult to tell, as the data file is quite large (about 3 million records). Windows task manager tells me that essentially no CPU usage is occurring, but the machine still hasn't provided the aggregated file after over an hour, the task bar on spss still indicates that it is running "aggregate," and the machine is very slow when using other software.

Does anyone know what might be going on here? I don't know whether this is specific to spss 11, or whether something changed when I added the additional variables to my syntax after switching to spss 11. ...or perhaps I'm not being patient enough with a routine that will take a good deal of time with a large data file?

Thanks in advance

Jeff .