Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:14:36 -0600
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Comments:     To: pchoate@DDS.CA.GOV
From:         Jack Hamilton <JackHamilton@FIRSTHEALTH.COM>
Subject:      Re: Reverse PROC CONTENTS

There are many situations in which the ability to update a dictionary table (and have the update apply to the underlying data set) would be useful.

I asked for this a while back, and was told that it is not going to happen.

Still, it doesn't hurt to ask again.

-- JackHamilton@FirstHealth.com Manager, Technical Development Metrics Department, First Health West Sacramento, California USA

>>> "Choate, Paul@DDS" <pchoate@DDS.CA.GOV> 04/26/2004 10:05 AM >>> Interesting question Jim. If only we could edit sashelp.vcolumns, huh?

Here's an old post by Peter Crawford that used proc datasets to do what you want...

From: Peter Crawford (Peter@CrawfordSoftware.demon.co.uk) Subject: Re: Fields of SAS dreams Newsgroups: comp.soft-sys.sas Date: 2000/07/20

hth

Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160

-----Original Message----- From: Groeneveld, Jim [mailto:jim.groeneveld@VITATRON.COM] Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 2:17 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Q: Reverse PROC CONTENTS

Hi friends,

Maybe I'm missing something, but I am looking for some kind of reverse PROC CONTENTS. I read ascii data and don't want to enter the metadata (variable labels and many other attributes) by hand by writing a piece of data step code. The information is avaliable in another ascii file, which I would like to read using the standardized variable names from PROC CONTENTS (into a dataset) and feed back to a (still empty) dataset, just like the CNTLIN option with PROC FORMAT allows for importing formats from a dataset. If that is not possible I would could read the metadata to generate normal data step code to %include, but that is more work.

Jim Groeneveld, MSc. Biostatistician Science Team Vitatron B.V. Meander 1051 6825 MJ Arnhem Tel: +31/0 26 376 7365 Fax: +31/0 26 376 7305 Jim.Groeneveld@Vitatron.com www.vitatron.com

My computer remains home, but I will attend SUGI 2004.

[common disclaimer]

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Any unauthorised review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email or any action taken in reliance on this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Visit us at http://www.cognizant.com