Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 May 2004 22:31:55 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Hetter, Rebecca D,,DMDCWEST" <HETTERRD@osd.pentagon.mil>
Subject:      Re: syntax to change numeric to character

I have 11.5, and this (untested) should work:

* TRY IT FIRST WITH A FEW CASES . N OF CASES 10.

* OPTIONAL: ADD LEADING ZEROS TO A NUMBER. formats field1 to field230(n4).

* CREATE A NEW STRING VARIABLE AND CONVERT . string new1 to new230(a4). do repeat x=field1 to field230/y=new1 to new230 . compute y=string(x,n4). end repeat.

* LIST A FEW CASES TO CHECK (OMIT FOR THE LARGE FILE). list var field1 new1 field2 new2 field230 new230.

* DELETE THE ORIGINAL VARIABLE . add files file=*/DROP= field1 to field230. exe. * CREATE AGAIN AS A STRING VARIABLE . string field1 to field230(a4). * NOW RENAME IT . add files file=*/RENAME=(new1 to new230) = field1 to field230). exe.

I am not sure about needing the "exe" .

HTH ---

Becky Hetter Research Psychologist Defense Manpower Data Center Personnel Testing Division 400 Gigling Rd Seaside, CA 93955

-----Original Message----- From: Carol Jones [mailto:jonesce@michigan.gov] Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 12:19 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: syntax to change numeric to character

I have two hundred and thirty fields in my dataset. I am using ver 12. I need to change all the fields from (F4.0) to (A4) - the field names need to remain the same. Can someone share some syntax to perform this task? Thanks