Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 May 2004 17:44:16 +0100
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Paul Mcgeoghan <Mcgeoghan@Cardiff.ac.uk>
Subject:      string manipulation

Hi,

I have a string variable which may have / appearing in various positions.

I want to create new string variables extracting the data before each slash into separate variables. Also, I want a count of the number of variables created with data for each case.

So, if I have data like the following in a variable named Leadman

AB/ABC/ABCD ABC/FE

I would like Lead1 Lead2 Lead3 NumLead AB ABC ABCD 3 ABC FE 2

How can I do the above?

Thanks in advance, Paul