Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (May 2004)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 May 2004 16:53:07 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Francois Brisebois <Francois.Brisebois@statcan.ca>
Subject:      INCLUDing multiple files to read a dataset

I'm trying to read a large ASCII dataset using all the necessary syntax information stored in 4 different files: one file contains the entire DATA LIST syntax, one the MSSING VALUE, one the VALUE LABEL, and one the VARIABLE LABEL.

Here is what I tried (among others):

INCLUDE FILE = 'D:\missing.sps'. INCLUDE FILE = 'D:\valuelab.sps'. INCLUDE FILE = 'D:\varlabel.sps'. FILE HANDLE INFILE/NAME = 'D:\rawdata.txt'. INCLUDE FILE = 'D:\SAS_SPSS\hs_i.sps'. execute.

The result is that the dataset is created correctly, but the missing values and labels are not assigned (they are ignored). What am I doing wrong, and how can I read this file using the smallest number of code possible. Thanks.

Francois

Note: If I open the files in SPSS and submit them sequentially, then of course it works fine, however, I want to be able to submit everything in one shot with only a few lines of codes.