Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (May 2004)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 May 2004 16:29:02 +0200
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Adam Olszˇwka <adamolszowka@hotmail.com>
Subject:      Re: Ctables - descending order in groups

Thanks for reply. But my problem is that I need var2 variable sorted separatly for different groups (first sorting for var1=1 and second sorting for var=2). As far as I know syntax you wrote sorts variable in total and then keeps order for all groups. ?

Best, Adam Olszowka

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peck, Jon" <peck@spss.com> To: "Adam Olszˇwka" <adamolszowka@hotmail.com>; <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 3:56 PM Subject: RE: [SPSSX-L] Ctables - descending order in groups

You control the sorting on the CATEGORIES subcommand. Here is an example using the employee data file.

CTABLES /VLABELS VARIABLES=minority jobcat DISPLAY=DEFAULT /TABLE minority > jobcat [COUNT F40.0] /CATEGORIES VARIABLES=minority ORDER=A KEY=VALUE EMPTY=INCLUDE MISSING=EXCLUDE /CATEGORIES VARIABLES=jobcat ORDER=D KEY=COUNT EMPTY=INCLUDE MISSING=EXCLUDE.

In the dialog interface, you can select the inner variable, jobcat in this example, and open the Categories and Total subdialog. There is a section there where you can choose what to sort on and the direction.

Regards, Jon Peck

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Adam Olszˇwka Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 6:43 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: [SPSSX-L] Ctables - descending order in groups

Hi everybody,

Please excuse if this has already been discussed, as I am new to the list. I haven't found solution of my problem in the archive so far. I have two variables: var1 nad var2. I can make the table (using ctables commad) like this:

count | var2=1 15 var1=1 | var2=2 10 | var2=3 25 ___________________

| var2=1 10 var1=2 | var2=2 2 | var2=3 5

But I want them to be sorted in descending order in groups:

count | var2=3 25 var1=1 | var2=1 15 | var2=2 10 ___________________

| var2=1 10 var1=2 | var2=3 5 | var2=2 2

Any idea how to do it in ctables command? Is it possible? Thanks, Adam