Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 May 2004 18:40:53 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Nova's Taylor <novastaylor@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Moving from SAS/CONNECT to ? : SAS Terminal Servers?  Hardware
              specs? Advice?

Hi folks,

The company I work for has recently outgrown the SAS/CONNECT, remote-submit model and we are now looking at alternative architectures. We have several offices worldwide and programming teams may work cooperatively on projects that are remote from their home office. Wide area network bandwidth makes SAS/CONNECT impractical.

We have reached a critical decision point: How do we proceed? Perhaps we should move to a system where SAS is available on a Terminal Server Farm of 2-3 servers per site, where users login, start up the SAS/DMS on the remote machine, and work there? What if we switch to batch mode - will users rebel at the lack of an enhanced editor, or love the simplicity of a commmand line?

Other background info: We are a Microsoft shop, so Windows 2003 Server would be the OS. I have no choice in that matter. We are not interested in SAS/IntrNet or a Portal solution.

I am looking for anyone who would like to share their experiences from both a user and admin perspective. I will be working with SAS to determine potential hardware specifications, but would like to hear from individuals "in the field" in terms of server specs, configuration, and approaches. Are you running interactive SAS? Batch SAS? SAS DMS on terminal servers? How have you solved the "resource pooling" issue where your program team is spread out, but your data is centralized? Maybe there is an approach that I am overlooking?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please email me offline at NovasTaylor@hotmail.com and I will gladly summarize my findings for SAS-L at a later time.

Taylor SAS Admin NovasTaylor@hotmail.com