Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Sat, 8 May 2004 12:43:52 -0700
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Miller, John" <millerj@WSIPP.WA.GOV>
Subject:   Re: Missing %MEND statement.
Comments:   To: David Neal <DNeal@uaa.alaska.edu>

Yes, but I usually just use the offending value, like: ";

and, sometimes it does work - sometimes it doesn't and I'm off and running.

Does submitting the collection of *';*"; work better?

-----Original Message----- From: David Neal [mailto:DNeal@uaa.alaska.edu] Sent: Saturday, May 08, 2004 12:37 PM To: 'Miller, John'; SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: RE: Missing %MEND statement.

Have you tried the old

*';*";

trick to close off quotes? (I usually put the one I'm most likely to have used first but it doesn't matter. What matters is getting out of the "whimsical world" so you can keep working.)

David

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Miller, John Sent: Saturday, May 08, 2004 10:38 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Missing %MEND statement.

Does anybody have a better approach to this problem?

Every once in awhile I like to amuse myself by putting an odd number of quotes in the macro I am developing so that I can get entangled in the whimsical world of "Missing %MEND statement". I then enjoy a fast round of play which goes like this:

- submit a quote in the hope that I can clear the problem

- submit a semi-colon for the same reason

- submit a %mend; to see if I have done any good

- sigh deeply and proceed to submit varying numbers of quotes, semi-colons and %mends

- admit that I may have to kill SAS and start over to get out of this loop

- stare menacingly at log statements like the following, then get a cup of coffee:

19731 ";

WARNING: Missing %MEND statement.

19732 ";

WARNING: Missing %MEND statement.

19733 %mend;

ERROR: Macro keyword MEND appears as text. A semicolon or other delimiter may be missing.

WARNING: Missing %MEND statement.

19734 %mend;

ERROR: Macro keyword MEND appears as text. A semicolon or other delimiter may be missing.

WARNING: Missing %MEND statement.

. . .

John Miller

Washington State Institute for Public Policy

110 East Fifth Avenue, Suite 215

Olympia, WA 98504-0999

(360) 586-9436

millerj@wsipp.wa.gov