Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:14:16 -0300
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Hector Maletta <hmaletta@fibertel.com.ar>
Subject:   Re: Forcing categories in frequency table
Comments:   To: Yehuda Dayan <Yehuda.Dayan@ipsos.com>

One trick advised in this list some time ago was as follows: you create a fictitious case with the appropriate value in the relevant variables. To that case you assign a very small weight (for instance 0.0001); if you are not presently weighting the cases, this is done by creating a weighting variable which equals 1 for all other cases, and 0.0001 for the fictitious case, and using that variable for weight. When you obtain a table, the row or column for the category is created, but the frequency is zero because a very small weight is rounded down to zero. However, this is valid as such only for frequencies in categorical variables, not necessarily for totals and means in interval variables. Suppose one of your variables in your table is an interval variable for which you ask the total or the mean, and that variable has large values, such as annual income. If you give the fictitious case a plausible income (say, $100,000) this income of the fictitious case (whichever it is) would be multiplied by 0.0001 and this may still give a non-zero result (100,000 x 0.0001 = 10). To avoid this, put also a very small income in the fictitious case (fifty cents per year, for instance), so all totals and averages for that case would be rounded down to zero.

Hope this helps.

Hector