Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Jun 2004 08:10:36 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Emily Lander <emily.lander@pcmail.maricopa.edu>
Subject:      Multiple response field

Hi all, I am fairly new to SPSS, so forgive me if this is a rather basic question. I have a survey where respondents "check all that apply." I use another program to scan in survey responses, and when it encounters a multiple response it enters all the responses into the field as: (1,4,5), for example. When I export it into SPSS (version 11.5), this variable is truncated if it is defined as a number. When it is defined as a string, I cannot get the text responses to appear in a frequency table.

Is there a way for SPSS to recognize multiple responses in one field? I am going to be doing a frequency table with this variable, so I simply need it to list each of the 3 responses in the frequency table.