Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Sat, 5 Jun 2004 17:05:32 -0700
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Roger DeAngelis <xlr82sas@AOL.COM>
Subject:   Re: SAS IDE Development Environment

%Soapox on;

I have one thing to say about Visual-Studio IDEs, MS-Word and MS-Execl: Increase the power of the command line, so I can recover screen realstate.

I once saw I secretary typing in a 4in by 4in window, the rest of her screen was toolbars.

Because almost all of SAS can be executed on the command line, why would anyone even consider any other editor.

I like to use the old bare bones 'ispf' SAS editor.

0. Turn everthing off in Tools>Options and Tools>customize ( I do this with word and excel too) ( I do save last 30 commands and use color coding )

turn off toolbars/enhanced editor/explorer/scrollbars etc

Turn the command on and numbers on

1. I like two identical 21 in monitors, two editor panels in left monitor and log and list in right monitor

Your right monitor might look like

Program Editor | NotePad <G.G> Command ===> | Command ====> 000001 | 000002 | |

Your left monitor might look like

Log | Output Command ====> | Command ====> | | |

2. I remove horizontal scroll bars I use funtion keys instead

Function key 1 'F1' has 'left 2' Function key 2 'F2' has 'right 2'

Just hold down the key to scroll ( more sensitive than scroll bars) Plus I gain realstate.

3. I remove vertical scrollbars Usue page down and page up keys for vertical scrolling

4. I like to do my own versioning

In autoexec '%Let _q=%sysfunc(int(%sysfunc(time())));'

first line of all my program is '%let Pgm=Pop_Dem;'

To version your program

place this text on a mouse button, yes I use all 3 mouse buttons and all 6 mouse button controls

save &pgm.&_q;file &pgm..sas r;%let _q=%eval(0&_q + 1);

Each time you hit shf-rmb your program will be saved with a new unique number on the end ie Pop_Dem30678 .. Pop_Dem30679

5. I put the magic string on F4

8. I put f '=';mark;home;2;home;mark;home;store;home;unmark;top;home;paste;:ts on PF5 this grabs the program name from the first line of your program and puts the text on the command line

for fun execute this program ( in pgm editor - not on command line)

DM '1;HOME;C " " "CompuCraft";HOME;F "CompuCraft";MARK;HOME;2;HOME;MARK;CUT;PASTE;PASTE;PASTE;';

9. Instead pointing and clicking, I have use short editor commands, that keep your hands on the keyboard for instance.

10. I have many more IDE shortcuts, but do not have time to outline them here.

The prefix area ( where the line numbers are ) will accept commands.

Point and shoot functions make the SAS editor even more powerful.

I can highlight and submit a block of SAS code using just the mouse

example of point and shoot function...

ie highlight - hold down left mouse button - drag over code - - then hit middle mouse button to submit highlighted code.

'home' takes you to the command line, 'log' takes you to the log panel and activates that panel, 'out' takes you to output panel command line. Thies is very fast panel flipping. All without your hands leaving the keyboard.

%soapbox off;

pardee.r@GHC.ORG (Pardee, Roy) wrote in message news:<C93AE4021921784ABAE89216FF4C37180456E181@ROC2T7.ghc.org>... > Gosh, does even the enhanced SAS editor really compare to vs.net? I'd > be surprised... > > Personally, I get pretty good mileage out of UltraEdit & a couple of wsh > scripts for submitting jobs & trolling logs for errors... > > -----Original Message----- > From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of > Sober Hi > Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 8:08 AM > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: SAS IDE Development Environment > > > This board is a wonderful resource. Thanks to all. > > I am new to SAS (and don't even do this full-time), so be gentle > (please). > > At work, we have SAS 6.12 and do NOT have a license for SAS' excessively > pricey Client IDE. It is a small shop here and budgets are thin. > > I am currently using TEXTPAD with SAS syntax highlighting for coding > development. This tool does little more than syntax highlighting. (The > other two people who do some occasional SAS development here use Notepad > !!!). > > I am in need something that does much more. I have other programming > experience in SQL Server and Visual Basic and have been spoiled by their > rich IDE. > > The only tools I found out there are UltraEdit (which seems to do the > same thing as TextPad) and ASAP by ComplementSoft. What else is out > there other than ASAP? What are people using? Any advice? Hints? > Suggestions? > > Kindly advise. I did try to search around before posting and was unable > to find an article discussing this in detail. If someone can help me > find one, that might suffice as well...... > > Thanks in advance..... > > Soberhi