Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:00:55 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Fehd, Ronald J. (PHPPO)" <RJF2@CDC.GOV>
Subject:      Re: OT:  ASCII code inventor dies

> From: Miller, Jeremy T.

> http://canadaeast.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040624/CPB/48332034

Computer pioneer Bob Bemer, who published Y2K warnings in '70s, dies at 78

POSSUM KINGDOM LAKE, Texas (AP) - Bob Bemer, a computer pioneer who published warnings of the Y2K problem in the early 1970s and helped invent a widely used coding system, has died after a battle with cancer. He was 84.

Born Feb. 8, 1920 ...

I'll believe he was 84 not 78 as the headline says

or maybe he was on a turntable: 78 rpm?

I's always nice to be reminded of the Y2K snooze alarm.

I remember the story of an aspiring world-class country who decided that the way to make sure that the planes would keep flying was to have the people responsible for making sure that the planes would keep flying in the air at midnight Dec 31, 1999.

I suppose we should be on guard for anyone who even hints that they are going to suggest reducing storage of ccYY to YY.

Old computer programmers never bye, they just byte you.

Ron Fehd the ASCII or EBCDIC maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2@cdc.gov

"Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small jobs." - Henry Ford, Industrialist ... or store it in two bytes and always remember to add 19