Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:11:25 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Dunn, Toby" <tdunn@TEA.STATE.TX.US>
Subject:      Re: arrangements of indistinguishable objects?

If you have version 9 you could use some thing like this from the help docs:

data _null_; array x [4] $3 ('ant' 'bee' 'cat' 'dog'); n=dim(x); nfact=fact(n); do i=1 to nfact; call allperm(i, of x[*]); put i 5. +2 x[*]; end; run;

if you don't take Ron's suggestion and look at the extensive archives on permutations.

HTH Toby Dunn

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Fehd, Ronald J. (PHPPO) Sent: Friday, June 25, 2004 1:03 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: arrangements of indistinguishable objects?

> From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On > Suppose I have 6 objects, 3 of type A and 3 of type B, and > would like to arrange them randomly. I would like to make an > array of all the possible arrangements. So for example one > element of the array might be AABBAB. Can anyone suggest an > easy way of doing this? I was thinking of tweaking the code > http://www.id.unizh.ch/software/unix/statmath/sas/sasdoc/stat/ chap50/sec t23.htm but being a SAS newbie I wasn't sure how to go about it - any suggestions would be appreciated.

round flat thing with hole in the middle: been threaded here many times before:

check our most excellent archives: http://www.listserv.uga.edu/archives/sas-l.html search for: combination or permutation subject contains: author's address: since: until:

Ron Fehd the macro maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2@cdc.gov