Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:45:50 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jack Hamilton <JackHamilton@FIRSTHEALTH.COM>
Subject:      Re: Interacting with the web
Comments: To: lpogodajr292185@COMCAST.NET

I had a similar problem, and ended up using VBA to automate the extraction. I had a series of 7 web pages I wanted to read into a SAS data set. I used Excel VBA to open IE, navigate to the page, fill in the form, submit the form, and save the results to a CSV file. My SAS program then reads the CSV file.

This works only in MS Office, but there are probably similar capabilities on other platforms.

-- JackHamilton@FirstHealth.com Manager, Technical Development Metrics Department, First Health West Sacramento, California USA

>>> Lou <lpogodajr292185@COMCAST.NET> 06/26/2004 5:46 PM >>> I need to regularly get data via the web. To do so, it's necessary to call up a particular url, log in the a user name and password, click on an entry in a drop down menu to choose a role (eg data entry or administrator, etc), fill in some parameter information in a couple of text boxes, and click on a "Go" button.

This initiates an extract operation on the remote server, ultimately resulting in a bunch of spreadsheet files that can then be saved to the local workstation.

The whole thing is dull and repetitious and what's worse, time consuming. Any suggestions on how to automate the operation would be more than welcome.

Thanks Lou