Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:05:15 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Moffitt, James (West)" <james.moffitt@thomson.com>
Subject:      Recoding 102 Variables Into One Variable With 102 Values

I have 102 contiguous brand use variables named q35a1 to q35a102. Each is a dichotomous variable but they are not coded zero and 1. Instead, each variable uses a coding scheme that designates nonuse of the brand with a zero and use of the brand by the number following the "a" in the variable name. Thus, if use or nonuse of the Acme brand is denoted in variable q35a47, nonusers of Acme are coded with a zero and users are coded with a 47. If use or nonuse of the Baker brand is denoted in variable q35a23, nonusers of Baker are coded with a zero and users are coded with a 23.

My question is this: How do I create a new variable that combines all 102 existing variables into a single variable with 102 codes (1 for each brand)? Also, is there any way to pull the value labels from each of the 102 initial variables into the newly created variable so I don't have to manually enter 102 value labels?

Thanks for your help.