Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jul 2004 10:18:06 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         PD <sophe88@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: SAS consulting and SAS license

Thanks for all the response.

1. For the first case, my friend and the company are working together to put that 1 PC license on a laptop so she can work wherever she goes, day or night. The company does not have any restriction to its site to use the software.

2. Apparently she needs to license her own copy from SI for her consultant business. It probably is a good idea to buy another computer to load her own license as well. If and when it is necessary to load multiple copies, a technology solution is to set up the PC to be able to load onto different partitions, so to allow multiple installations of difference licenses.

Thanks again for all your input.

PD

Walter.Scott@STATE.TN.US (Walter Scott) wrote in message news:<s0eef1fe.082@state.tn.us>... > Paula, > I'm not a consultant but, I have had a little experience with SAS > licensing. > > If I understand you questions correctly: > > 1) If I recall correctly, as a consultant, she can use the > contracting company's license only on company premises (may be wrong > about that detail) and she can only perform work for that specific > company using that copy of PC-SAS. If the company's license is > workstation-based then each PC SAS is installed on will count as a > license-copy. If the license is user-based then each workstation will > count for at least one license-copy (each person who uses SAS on the > workstation counts as a license-copy). (That's poorly worded, I know). > > 2) If she has her own license there would be no need for two > copies on the same PC. > > > Walter > > > >>> PD <sophe88@YAHOO.COM> 14:32:35 09-Jul-04 >>> > A friend of mine quit her permanent job and decided to start as an > independent consultant mainly using SAS. She asked me several > questions which I am going to pass along and post here. > > 1. One company that has signed the contract with her told her she can > use their PC license (1 of the 10 licenses the company has). They even > give her a Dell PC to load it and use it, on their site. Nice. Now she > is getting creative: she is thinking about taking the software and > load it at home to use it while the Dell PC is shut off and not > running anything. Well, I read the license agreement(the one the > company has signed with SI). Apparently, the (1) PC license(s), unlike > how SAS is licensed to IBM mainframe where the number of mainframe > CPUs counts, does not restrict the # of CPUs involved. Around the > clock, if we divide the 24 hours into 12+12, for one half the software > runs on one machine, for another half it runs on another, provided > both machines are the company's property. Then, it does not violate > the agreement only one license is used at any time. But I am not sure. > > 2. She also signed contracts with other firms out of MN. They do not > provide her with anything. So she is thinking about licenseing SAS > directly from SI. Now the Q is about the workstations: It probably > does not make sense to buy separate computers to load separate license > of SAS. How experienced consultants usually deal with this? Is it > possible to load multiple copies of the software on one machine to > work for different companies? > > Thanks in advance, as always. > > Paula D