Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:01:50 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Phil Rack <philrack@MINEQUEST.COM>
Subject:      Re: I want a career change plz help
Comments: To: Charles Patridge <charles_s_patridge@PRODIGY.NET>

I have to agree with Charles. I find the argument that one who gets experience by working on a project without actually getting paid is illegal has a lot of holes in it. Today, most college internships work this way!

Working Pro Bono is a great way to gain experience and skills in an environment where jobs are hard to get.

Philip Rack MineQuest, LLC SAS Consulting and Contract Programming 1939 Queensbridge Dr. Columbus, OH 43235 Tel: (614) 457-3714 Fax: (614) 737-3419

http://www.MineQuest.com E-mail: PhilRack@minequest.com

-----Original Message----- From: Charles Patridge [mailto:charles_s_patridge@PRODIGY.NET] Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 8:53 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: I want a career change plz help

I beg to differ.

Yes, it maybe illegal to "hire" someone for no wages.

However, "pro-bono" or volunteerism is not illegal. I have done this a number of times in order to gain some very special experience I might not be able to acquire elsewhere.

That is, my benefit was to acquire some special training/experience in lieu of monetary payments for the time I spent doing some SAS development.

And there is nothing to prevent nor illegal for a company to acquire some services for "free" (pro-bono). As for accepting such work on a critical project - I would not expect this to happen. If so, I would question the professionalism / integrity of those in charge.

However, allowing a back burner project or program to be developed by a non- employee on a "free/pro-bono" is not a bad decision. Of course, the project leader needs to verify that this completed application/code does in fact work as intended.

If so, then a written evaluation of this work completed could/should be initiated for the benefit of that person seeking future employment opportunities.

My 2.25 cents worth to this issue.

Charles Patridge