Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:21:31 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Lou <lpogodajr292185@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: I want a career change plz help

The Fair Labor Standards Act recognizes certain classes of people who may legally earn less than minimum wage - examples include but are not necessarily limited to disabled workers, workers under 20 years old who have been on their present job less than 90 days, workers who receive tips in excess of $30/month, full-time students, and high-school students enrolled in vocational programs.

That would seem to cover college internships. It wouldn't seem to cover just anyone walking in off the street and privately agreeing with some employer to work for free.

"Phil Rack" <philrack@MINEQUEST.COM> wrote in message news:000001c469b3$802446a0$6600a8c0@prackhome... > I have to agree with Charles. I find the argument that one who gets > experience by working on a project without actually getting paid is > illegal has a lot of holes in it. Today, most college internships work > this way! > > Working Pro Bono is a great way to gain experience and skills in an > environment where jobs are hard to get. > > Philip Rack > MineQuest, LLC > SAS Consulting and Contract Programming > 1939 Queensbridge Dr. > Columbus, OH 43235 > Tel: (614) 457-3714 > Fax: (614) 737-3419 > > http://www.MineQuest.com > E-mail: PhilRack@minequest.com > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Charles Patridge [mailto:charles_s_patridge@PRODIGY.NET] > Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 8:53 AM > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: Re: I want a career change plz help > > I beg to differ. > > Yes, it maybe illegal to "hire" someone for no wages. > > However, "pro-bono" or volunteerism is not illegal. I have done this a > number of times in order to gain some very special experience I might > not > be able to acquire elsewhere. > > That is, my benefit was to acquire some special training/experience in > lieu > of monetary payments for the time I spent doing some SAS development. > > And there is nothing to prevent nor illegal for a company to acquire > some > services for "free" (pro-bono). As for accepting such work on a > critical > project - I would not expect this to happen. If so, I would question > the > professionalism / integrity of those in charge. > > However, allowing a back burner project or program to be developed by a > non- > employee on a "free/pro-bono" is not a bad decision. Of course, the > project leader needs to verify that this completed application/code does > in > fact work as intended. > > If so, then a written evaluation of this work completed could/should be > initiated for the benefit of that person seeking future employment > opportunities. > > My 2.25 cents worth to this issue. > > Charles Patridge > > > --- > Incoming mail is certified Virus Free. > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). > Version: 6.0.719 / Virus Database: 475 - Release Date: 7/12/2004 > > > --- > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). > Version: 6.0.719 / Virus Database: 475 - Release Date: 7/12/2004