Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:30:02 -0700
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Sharon <findingjobs@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:   Character/Numeric Variable Error Message

Hi, I get the following error message when I try to combine datasets.

24 data blue; 25 set berry raison; ERROR: Variable fruit has been defined as both character and numeric. 26 by fruit; run;

I doubled checked to ensure that both "fruit" variables in berry and raison are both character variables. I've even gone as far as to write if-then statements to make sure they are character (if berry = '01' then berry = '01'). I don't understand why I keep getting this error message. Furthermore, I did a proc contents on both data sets and they both say that "fruit" is a character variable. any suggestions? thank you.