Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 19 Jul 2004 17:18:18 -0400
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Sigurd Hermansen <HERMANS1@WESTAT.COM>
Subject:   Re: Character/Numeric Variable Error Message
Comments:   To: Sharon <findingjobs@HOTMAIL.COM>

Sharon: SAS SET'ting of two SAS datasets containing the same variable name and the same type of variable works reliably. A number of side conditions may lead to the 'both character and numeric' error. For example,

1) conversion and renaming of variables (especially implicit conversions in assignments); 2) variables read from external sources (Excel, Oracle, etc.); 3) views of datasets containing data type conversions.

I am guessing that you have posted a simplified version of your program. Usually a good idea, but in this case carried too far. As posted, it does not provide enough detail. Check the libraries from which you are reading the datasets and make sure that the actual program does not contain something like 'fruit=01;' that would trigger an implicit conversion of your data. Sig

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Sharon Sent: Monday, July 19, 2004 4:30 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Character/Numeric Variable Error Message

Hi, I get the following error message when I try to combine datasets.

24 data blue; 25 set berry raison; ERROR: Variable fruit has been defined as both character and numeric. 26 by fruit; run;

I doubled checked to ensure that both "fruit" variables in berry and raison are both character variables. I've even gone as far as to write if-then statements to make sure they are character (if berry = '01' then berry = '01'). I don't understand why I keep getting this error message. Furthermore, I did a proc contents on both data sets and they both say that "fruit" is a character variable. any suggestions? thank you.